Hawaiian Shirt Beer Breakfast
& Lucky Cat Beer Prognostication
Chase away those mid-winter blues!
Updated: Friday, 31 January 2014
We Pennsylvanians believe very strongly in rodent based weather forecasting, so we assemble at The Grey Lodge every Groundhog Day at 7am (9am this year) to catch Punxsutawney Phil's prognostication. For 2014, Groundhog Day falls on a Sunday. so we will open at 9am. We have networked our TVs. If we successfully record the Punxsutawney festivities, we will show them at 9a. Also we will do a live reinactment of the current prognostication.
Groundhog Day Beer Breakfast
To chase away the winter blues, we wear our best/worst Hawaiian shirts and have a Beer Breakfast. Later in the morning we kick off more oddity as Groundhog Day turns into Lucky Cat Day. Lucky Cat Day features Wissinoming Winnie's Beer Prognostication and other fun stuff.
The Groundhog Day Hawaiian Shirt Beer Breakfast and Lucky Cat Beer Prognostication is probably the stupitest event that we do at The Grey Lodge, and we set the bar on stupit pretty high (or should that be low?), so don't miss it.
With how cold and snowy this winter has been so far, we all need a Groundhog Day Hawaiian Shirt Beer Breakfast more than usual. What better way to tell winter to screw off than with beer and Hawaiian shirts at 9am (usually at 7am but 9am this year since it's a Sunday)?
FourSquare Groundhog Badge
Thanks to the fine folks at VisitPA, you can get the FourSquare Groundhog Badge for joining us on Groundhog Day. It's as 1-2-3! Easier actually as there is no step 3. So it's as easy as 1-2 but that doesn't sound right. 1) follow VisitPA on 4square, 2) check in greylodge on 2/2. This has worked the last three years, so it will probably work again this year.
Beads: There are very few right times to wear beads. There's Mardi Gras in New Orleans, but only during Mardi Gras. Any other time and the locals think you're a douche. Groundhog Day at The Grey Lodge is also on the bead appropriate list. If you've been to New Orleans, you've probably bought some cool beads at a souvenir shop (I did), but you were too cool to wear them if it wasn't Mardi Gras. Well this is an appropriate time to break them out.
Events like Groundhog Day and Friday the Firkinteenth are too hectic for us run tabs or accept credit cards. On rare days like those we are cash only.
Groundhog Day is a great day to take public transportation to the Grey Lodge.
- 13 Featured Beers for 2014 Groundhog Day:
- Flying Fish Exit 1 Oyster Stout
- Free Will Lowercase ipa World Debut!
- Manayunk 2012 Grand Cru Flanders Red
- Russian River 2012 Supplication
- Russian River 2012 Temptation
- Sixpoint 2013 3Bean
- Straub Groundhog Brew
- cask-conditioned Sly Fox Buns Scottish Ale (firkin)
- Troegs Dream Weaver Wheat
- cask-conditioned Troegs Nugget Nectar (firkin)
- cask-conditioned Weyerbacher Old Heathen with chicory and oak chips (firkin)
- Weyerbacher 2012 Yankee
- Trubble de Yards 2013
- Breakfast Menu:
- Banana and walnut pancakes with butter and syrup
- Bacon or scrapple, egg, and cheese on brioche
- Scrapple omelette w/ fried onions, bell peppers, poblanos, and cheddar
- Breakfast burger with American, bacon, tomato, and an over easy egg
- Barman's breakfast- 2 over easy eggs, bacon, and cheddar cheese over pepper and onion potato hash.